Flurry Hurry

A Summery Table Runner

IMG_4487When the ‘Flurry’ collection arrived I knew it wouldn’t be long before  I put it to use and when I began making the table runner I wasn’t really in a hurry, it just turned out that way! The design was uncomplicated;  putting it together was effortless and I thought the clean lines need plain quilting, which took no time at all.IMG_4494

 

IMG_4408I began with one and a half inch strips of the whole range of flurry colours, sewed them in groups of five then cut them into blocks. It was so quick!

I wanted a grey to set off the colour range (always a favourite) and went to look for something in Aberdashery and as usual found just the thing. A simple grey and white mini-stripe and to complement it perfectly another of the multi-coloured threads that just lift the quilting beautifully.

The checkerboard design was swiftly pieced

and in no time I had a sandwich and was ready to quilt the snappy, wavy lines. So simple.IMG_1341I cut more strips and cut them into randomly sized lengths to make the binding and there it was, complete in only a couple of hours over a few early evening, pre-dinner sewing sessions. Never was anything (made by me) so speedily done!IMG_4492IMG_4493

And what’s more I have plenty of ‘Flurry’ left!

Irresistible

Utterly!

IMG_4408

3765205_2580f583

 

I picked up a package from the Royal Mail depot in Llanbadarn today.     Early morning golf means missing the post and it couldn’t have been our usual postman. If it had been he would have left a message, schlepped up to the shed at the top of the garden, struggled with the fastening contraption on the door and popped the package in a plant pot!

019

 

 

Not a very glamorous building  is it?    Not nearly as attractive as the 1901 (only just ER not VR) Post Office building in Great Darkgate Street in town.

I often study the mosaic signage sipping coffee in a window seat in Costa just opposite.cropped-postoffice4

Well whatever the building looks like as soon as I saw the blue plastic package excitement mounted because I knew exactly what was inside. I didn’t even get as far as the car (here’s a place where you can park right outside) before ripping it open to feast my eyes on the colours inside.

The whole range of playful spottiness  – fifteen of them altogether –  ‘Flurry’ from Dashwood studios and ordered from Simply Solids online fabric shop on Saturday. I think  this lovely simple range caught my attention in LPQ magazine this month and when I searched for them online …. well as I said, irresistible.IMG_4426

IMG_4405I particularly love the aqua/teal/green fat    quarters.    No surprises there then!

I don’t think these are going to sit in my stash for very long, in fact I’ve already started imagining a summer table topper for the kitchen.

I wonder if I’ll use all 15 colours? I wonder if I’ll try out the my new ‘Quiltology’ App to plan my design? I wonder how soon I can start?IMG_4425

Chicken and Egg.

Whenever I set out to realise one of my ideas I find myself thinking back to Design Technology staff meetings at school! Our talented curriculum leader, Martha,  put us through our paces thinking through the design, make, review process. Well, whenever I make my ‘prototype’ there is always plenty to think about in the review part of the proceedings! There certainly was for this little fabric container … or pot …. or box. I’m not really sure what to call it. Ideas on a postcard  (or a comment here) please.

What to call it? Any ideas?
What to call it? Any ideas?

When I saw ‘Chicken and Egg’ in Aberdashery I knew what I wanted to make with it right away. I’d been planning some little round containers for a while. Initially the containers in my mind’s eye had turn down tops not lids but then the lid popped into my thoughts. I think I’ll still make a lidless round one, the rectangular ones I made are very versatile and I like them a lot.

Here are my choices from ‘Chicken and Egg’ in the Henley Studio Collection by Makower, lots more lovelies in the collection. Take a peek. These three were obvious choices for me, I’m besotted by the aqua and red combination and have to stop myself choosing it for everything I make. I love the fabric design and I thought the quilting should be kept simple and just let the design speak for itself. So my straight line practise came in useful.

I hope that I can get around to making the improved version soon but at this time of year, well gardening, golfing  and galivanting around the countryside seem to be higher on the agenda. Among my improvements will be making the lid slightly larger. I did make the diameter slightly bigger but not quite enough for the lid to just drop on.

There are other modifications too and as I make the new improved model I’ll have another go at writing a tutorial. All I need is a horrible wet  useful rainy sewing day. Shouldn’t be too long before one of those here in West Wales!