Finished Playmat

Well Dougie finally has his finished playmat and Bethan has a matching carry bag for when she needs it on the go.

I’m pleased with the overall look of the mat and it has a range of textures. The satin spiral feels lovely even though the spiral is far from perfect and the wavy sea is satisfyingly bumpy (I hope the journey across the Bay of Biscay tomorrow is a lot less so but I have a feeling that I’m out of luck there). The sheep are nice and wooly and it was lovely seeing Dougie reaching for them.

Having seen Dougie pulling up the leaf flap on the lizard block I think maybe I should have done a bit more on the interactive side.

All panic about the lizard block vanished once I began the block. It was actually fun drawing the shapes; deciding which fabric suited which lizard and even repeatedly zig-zagging around the cheese plant-like leaf. We had found the giant flower buttons while we were fabric hunting and they added a bit more colour too.

I forgot to put the squeaker in the car block and had to put a slit in the back and insert it, luckily I remembered before I put the backing on the matt. I also remembered the loops and they are useful for attaching toys – or books like in the picture.

The ripstop fabric is a perfect backing fabric for the mat. Makes it so much more versatile. It was hard to find suitable ripstop, we had seen some in Aberdashery but we weren’t in Aber. We searched the internet and found this great animal print in the Little Fabric Bazaar  . It’s a great place for fabrics and Stephanie is so efficient and helpful; just a couple of messages; a quick visit to Paypal and the fabric was with me in two days. Right now she has a fabulous selection of ripstops, I particularly like the birds and the plantation fabrics.

But the animals were perfect for this project. I used my handy micro-stitch to tack the backing to the top and used a bright green bias binding around the edge.

Inspiration for the carry bag came, as usual, lying in bed musing. We had pondered a system of carrying handles for a folded mat but everything just seemed so over-complicated. I had lots of fabric leftover and the idea of a bag popped into my head and it seemed the simplest solution.

An hour of sewing one morning had the bag sorted.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The whole thing took me longer than I had anticipated (but then the bag is probably the only thing I ever made that didn’t) but it was a very satisfying project and I’ve learned loads and I do have a long list of do’s and dont’s!

IMG_2751IMG_2750

Please leave a comment so I know you've dropped by! Or subscribe to follow what I'm getting up to.