I’ve had my sewing scissors for some time. They were a 21st birthday present from Jeff’s Nanna, so work it out. They’ve done good service and are still sharp and in great shape. I’ve looked after them; never been tempted to cut anything other than a piece of fabric or thread. Even I have trouble believing that.
The case hadn’t fared so well though and although it’s ok the holding straps have snapped and … well it is plastic. I’ve been thinking about making a new case for a while and this week it occurred to me that my Free Motion try-out pieces could be just the ticket. So using the old case as a template, the lovely bird fabric plus the orange and brown fabric that reminded me of ‘Bird on a Wire’ off I set.
I decided I needed to use self-binding round the outer edge. I hadn’t made bias binding for a while but it worked out ok. I am really not a fan of the new plastic press studs, they just don’t ‘snap’ like the metal ones but for now they’ll do. The buttons are just for decoration. I love buttons and I just have to use up that stash somehow.
Anyway I’m happy with my new scissor case and the scissors seem so much more at home in fabric than in plastic.
And for good measure while the machine was out I made a little drawstring bag for my new micro stitch.