Time for some mother and daughter quilting.
Bethan’s visit came soon after she’d had a crafting session with some friends and as crafting and chatting go an interest in patchwork and quilting had emerged. So when Bethan came to check out the new house it was time to have a go. I really liked the idea of another mother and daughter sewing session, our last one was Bethan’s new curtains. This would be a lot less serious and it did turn out to be really good fun.
We had a week of evenings ahead with no TV or internet , we had a bit longer to wait for visits from BT and Sky; and we had no idea of the frustration that waiting for Sky was about to bring! Bethan had a basic square patchwork in mind but I thought I could pass on what I’ve already learnt about cutting and piecing and so we decided to reprise the ‘JuicyJelly’. Thanks go to Kate Higgens that I was able to pass this on.
So first a visit to my now local fabric shop, Aberdashery, to choose some fabrics. I love this part of the process, the project takes off from here. So many things come into play; mood on the day; something that has recently caught your eye; something you want to match up or complement, or just plain and simply an old favourite. You may go into the shop with something in mind but then an amazing fabric inspires you in and off you go in a completely different direction. What caught Bethan’s imagination on the day was a range of sunny yellows with a touch of grey and aqua teamed with a ditsy cream print to create a border.
We weren’t buying a charm pack and a jelly roll and decided that for a small quilt seven fat quarters should do it. The fabrics were a mixture of florals and spots with a lovely little yellow and grey paisley and an aqua, yellow and grey ladder print, oh yes there was a touch of pink in one of the florals that really made the colour scheme pop. We were very excited about starting and began the measuring and cutting of squares and strips that evening.
We cut five inch squares and two and a half inch wide strips cut into five and nine inch strips. Each block was to be made up of one square and two five inch and two nine inch strips. The blocks came together really quickly, with Bethan learning the handy tips about chain piecing, and them we arranged them into a 4 x 6 arrangement.
We thought we had it sussed with all the rows and columns different , but somehow in the piecing process blocks magically moved around! Just as well random patterns work so well in patchwork. We were very happy with how the quilt top was beginning to look. We added a strip of the cream then set to on getting the ‘piano key’ border. This was made of randomly pieced two and a half inch squares of all the patterns. I was on cutting duty and Bethan on sewing. An arrangement that worked pretty well. We had to use some of the surplus squares to make up enough mini-squares but we had enough to complete the border. A final strip of cream finished of the top to our satisfaction.
I had enough batting in my stock and a piece of white sheeting that was just fine for the back so next up was getting to know the walking foot while ‘stitching the ditch’ around the borders and around each of the squares.
We didn’t have enough fabric to make bias binding even if we had felt the need so we visited Aberdashery once more to buy yellow bias binding.
Here’s the finished article, pretty good for a first attempt I think.
Success and Bethan has well and truly caught the bug. That’s this year’s birthday present sorted!