It’s been all about the garden around here for some months. I had lots of plans for April but then the patio was finished and the May and June weather was too good to miss . So other activities have been on hold and the gardening went on. I did begin blogging my garden goings-on when we move in last August but somehow I lost momentum. Time to catch up! First the shed. Looks-like-a-beach-hut shed!I love seeing it from the kitchen window, it manages to cheer up even the dullest day. It fills the weird pointy bit at the top of the garden – and it’s very useful and not the least bit overcrowded (unlike the garage, which is full of stuff). Building the shed was the first thing we did when we moved in. We didn’t exactly plan it that way, we just couldn’t resist the special offers on sheds at the end of the summer. And of course we had a built-in assembly crew of Matt and Tony when Bethan and Tony came for their first visit to Cae Bach Y Rhiw.
Matt, Tony and Jeff got to grips with the plan and the pieces and then I set to work with the paint brush and the wood stain. No boring sheds round here! Wondered what the neighbourhood would think but we’d made up our minds long before we put it up.So, here’s the painted (inside and out) shed up at the top of the garden waiting for the winter. But wait, what about inside? Jeff put up shelves and a retainer rail for the long handle tools and I spent a couple of wet and windy autumn hours cocooned inside. I added a little bit of North Wales (a special little bit) to the walls. I’d wanted to cover the walls with maps from the first day I thought about a shed and I will add some more; we have so many old maps. Next some hooks, old and new, for the hand tools and bits and bobs. I think I’ve added a few more over the winter! Then there was the miniature cyclamen that had come with us from London. I’m very attached to this gift from a very good friend on a trip to RHS Wisley many years ago. It spread all around our
London garden so I had to bring a bit with us. It flowered beautifully hanging there in the Greenwich market potholder over the winter and I did manage to schlep up to the shed to keep it watered. I’ll transplant the corm this autumn ready to colonise our new garden I hope.
So the shed sat over the winter waiting, waiting for Stage 2. The wet winter proved that Stage 2 was needed. As a storage area behind the shed was a right off; a claggy clay bog; soggy, sticky and squelchy and so the improvements were not just cosmetic. We began by covering the area behind and to the sides and a strip in front of the shed with a weed barrier membrane and then with golden gravel that we found at Mount Trading. We laid a path at the front and side with Bradstone Carpet Stone (very easy – blocks on a plastic flexible mat ).